Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dickson Mounds Trip

August 11, 12, Wed. and Thurs.
We gathered for a Preparation Group picture. Each morning 1/3 of the Senior missionaries gather here in the Seventies Hall for a song, thought, and prayer. The young sisters come twice a week to meet with us. As assistant site leaders here, Greg and I take turns with the site leaders, the Kirkmans, conducting the meetings each morning. We get to know and love each of these people. On our Thursday prep day, we left at 8:15 with the Storeys to head to Dickson Mounds. I didn't know it was a two hour drive when we agreed to go, and I was so sleepy all day. It was interesting though, and I kept awake by doing stitchery (red work) in the car. The mounds are like those in Central American cultures. In the Museum, we learned the story of the Illinois and how the Indian peoples evolved. There are lots of graves and archeological finds in Illinois, who knew? Of course the only picture I thought to take was of this quilt in the museum room about Illinois history.
We had lunch at a local diner, good food, cheap price, and were home in time to get ready for two good audiences (YPMs) for Rendezvous. It is more fun when the audience reacts, and we are getting more relaxed and natural at "Peter and Abigail".
Greg is really proud of his tomatoes growing outside the back door. He keeps the rake, bike, etc, there to dissuade the deer and raccoon from eating the leaves and fruit. It seems to help a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment