Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pioneer Pastimes

May 25, Tuesday
Greg and I worked for the first time in Pioneer Pastimes. But we hear it is not the last time. We will be scheduled to work here twice a week for the summer. The benefit is that it is a four-hour shift instead of six, so we will have a little more free time, or at least time to eat before our evening activities. Greg and Elder Myers are seeing who can be Joseph Smith, and win the stick pull.
Then we are having a race to see who can get the Nauvoo bear to the top first.
Greg is pretty good at the hoop rolling. The temperature was warm to say the least, 97 degrees with 51 % humidity. We found out later that is was probably hot enough to close down the site, but the papers on the subject hadn't been updated. We had over 100 kids from schools here at one time, and they stayed longer than usual. I think the teachers just wanted to sit in the shade. The kids had a great time dressing up in pioneer clothes and playing all the games.
When I got home, I took another shower! But, I am a brave pioneer.
The Nauvoo Brass Band comes by each day to play. We are getting to know some of these kids from our Sunset performances, especially the drummer, Elder Kimball, who sits next to the piano.
We also had a one-hour shift at the visitor's center before we listened to Susan Easton Black talk about a "Prepared Family", and then I had a melodrama practice. Always something to keep us busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment