Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Here Comes the Ox-Cart

June 8,9, Tuesday and Wednesday,
We had a kid at Pioneer Pastimes whom Greg nick-named "Crying Charlie". No matter what he did, he declared he was a failure, and whined and had a well-practiced fake cry. And he was at least ten years old, and a big kid! He was adopted into a family of 13, and his parents seemed to be very used to it. A great way to get attention.
At Rendezvous, I follow Elder Funk to enter for the "streets" song. He is a character, and gives me a gently-bad time for following him. I am sure he is older than my dad. Tonight, he told me he thinks I am a nice-looking lady, cause I just look happy and smile a lot. I told him that was because I was happy--to be here!

A good thought was given at preparation meeting about prayer. The Lord only gives one of three answers to our prayers. Yes, maybe, and I have a better plan. He never says no or doesn't answer.
I ended up working 9 hours straight at the Cultural Hall. No one showed up at 3:00 to take my place, and although we called and did out best all day to work out the schedule, no one came. But I did accomplish something good. A lady had parked in front of the Bakery and locked her keys in her car. She was not having any success in getting help after an hour on her cell, which included asking the Nauvoo City Police. Finally, a policeman went by and I flagged him down anyway. He immediately said he couldn't be of any help, but I just asked if he knew any phone numbers of someone who COULD help. Well, that was different. Within minutes, a local mechanic, who happens to be a member of the church, came and quickly opened the door, not accepting any payment. She was so grateful for the help.
**Sister Schiess found me today in the Cultural Hall, and now Greg and I have an act in Rendezvous to learn. We will be Peter and Abigail, beginning July 7! And we were just starting to feel comfortable and under control!

For Greg's final day of work (he had enough vacation to last until June 10), we celebrated by going on a oxen wagon ride. It was just 10 minutes, but a fun break. I think the names of these guys (on the right) are Hank and Homer.


At the Family Living Center, Sister Schiess also nailed the Lowes. They will be George and Agatha, who have the most lines in the play. There are lots of new parts being assigned to six-monthers. We thought we wouldn't have to worry about that.

June 11, Friday,
This morning was my thought for Prep meeting on the subject of Pray Often. I told a story from Jack Rushton observations, and it went over well. Aunt May died today.
June 12, Saturday,
We served at the visitor's center from 7:30-1:15. It is cold there because of the air-conditioning. All the sisters wear jackets and sweaters. We watched the rain pour: 2.6 inches for the day. Wagon rides were canceled, Pioneer Pastimes was closed, and it was a mess. During the day we were called in to President Hill's office, and called to be Seventies Hall assistant site leaders.
Our responsibilities will include: serve there a couple of times a week, conduct and help with Prep meeting held there each morning, take care of any events scheduled there, especially on our free nights, and probably more things we don't even know about yet.
In the afternoon, we attended "High Hopes and Riverboats", the production performed by the YPM's. A great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment